President Joe Biden is now “perfectly comfortable” paying hundreds of millions of dollars to allegedly separated illegal alien families at the border during the Trump administration after initially saying that it wouldn’t happen. Here is what you need to know:
- The Biden administration has been considering payments to some 5,500 children and their families who were separated when they crossed the southern border illegally during the Trump administration’s “Zero Tolerance” era. According to reports by the Wall Street Journal, the payments could come close to $450,000 per illegal alien or $1 million per illegal alien family. If this figure is true, the total potential payout could reach $1 billion or more.
- The Zero Tolerance policy that was in place in 2018 did not violate any laws, and was similar to border policies carried out by the Obama-Biden administration during a surge of illegal immigration in 2015.
- But after immediate pushback from lawmakers, the media, FAIR, and the vast majority of American citizens, President Biden claimed that the payments were “not going to happen” and that reports were “garbage” and “not true.”
- The following day, the White House contradicted the president’s remarks stating that “if it saves taxpayer dollars and puts the disastrous of the previous administration … and family separation behind us, the president is perfectly comfortable with the Department of Justice (DOJ) settling with the families who are currently in litigation with the U.S. government.”
- Similarly, American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Executive Director Anthony Romero disputed the president, stating that Biden “may not have been fully briefed about the actions of his very own Justice Department as it carefully considered the crimes committed against thousands of families separated from their children as an intentional government policy.”
- The DOJ—which would be in charge of the payment process—has reportedly revealed to attorneys representing the separated families that the reparation figures listed in reports are “higher than anywhere that settlement can land.”
- Regardless of what happens, the proposal is one of the most egregious items proposed by the Biden administration (or really any administration in history). It rewards those who have broken our laws with payments that exceed what some Americans would make in a life-time.