Looking back, it was obvious to Taylor Sprague’s family that she used heroin. She often nodded off, her skin broke out and she lost pride in her appearance. There was even a pair of tweets posted publicly for anyone to see.
“Will someone tell me when I became an addict I seem to have missed that part of my life??” Sprague wrote on Twitter in December 2014. “I guess I was just too … high, right?”
But the family didn’t realize she was an addict until New Year’s Eve morning 2015, when a police officer arrived at their home in Eldersburg. The officer said Sprague, the 21-year-old UMBC student who had interned at the Library of Congress and served as a page in the General Assembly, overdosed and died.